Friday, December 5, 2008

A good day to start blogging.

Its not any secret that we have had a misfortunate 6 weeks. On Oct 27 I fell outside my home and severely fractured my right thumb (right first meta carpal, if you will) and on Oct 29th had a lovely surgery to install 5 pins to fix the broken bones.
One week after the fall, the company I work for, MGP Ingredients, called an emergency meeting and announced a mass layoff. I, having been with the company only 20 months, of course was part of the mass layoff, which was permanent by the way.
Two weeks after that, one of our dear kitties who have been part of our family for many many years, Lucy, died of natural causes.
Maybe in the grand scheme of things such as broken bones and unemployment, losing a pet may seem insignificant, but thats not true. Lucy was a dear friend and we miss her greatly still. She leaves behind one dear brother (same litter) Bear/Weezer Carney. Hes alive and well.

Since the layoff I have discovered that the mass layoff maybe one of the best things that has EVER happened to me, as far as my career goes.
It seems the state of Illinois has programs in place to offer tuition to people in my situation, to get a degree in the medical field. It just so happens that I have dreamed for many years, of becoming a nurse.
SO for the past several weeks I have been jumping through hoops to meet the requirements for nursing school.
I took an entrance exam this week, and did not pass, so my next option is to get some tutoring and retest in March. I am quite confident that I will pass in March and enroll in school starting in August.

1 comment:

Bassist said...

Well - sorry to hear of your losses - but great to hear that you are moving on! I think you'd make a great nurse!
God bless bro!